Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 2, 2010


Today, I tried
Menudo for the first time.
For those of you who don't know what Menudo is, this is what the kind I had looked like (courtesy of BajueLovesVintage on Flickr) :

Menudo is, from some researching I did, a traditional soup found all over Mexico and in various parts of the Spanish speaking world. It is usually made by creating a broth that is then flavored with pig and/or calf feet. The most interesting (and for many, unappetizing) ingredient of this soup is tripe (intestine/stomach of a cow or pig). This addition looks pretty weird because of the natural texture of the body part it comes from, but if the soup is made correctly, it should have the constancy of cooked carrots.

The restaurant I ate it at (La Perla Tapatia in Colorado Springs) makes it in a traditional Guadalajaran way, but the recipe varies from area to area.

Though I'm glad I had a chance to try something new, I don't think Menudo will be a regular in my dining options.

No comments:

Post a Comment